You might already know this famous quote from Gandhi : “Be the change you want to see in the world”. Those few words are powerful and embody the power we have on a day to day basis to change the things around us and contribute to a better world.
Now the topic of this blog post is not to discuss Gandhi’s sentence but to bring it a bit closer to us and to the changes we want to see happen in our lives. Hence : Be the change you want to see… in your life.
We often complain about our lives being too much this or not enough that. We also often expect the others (or in other words the outside world) to bring solutions. But do we really pause and ask ourselves :
- What do I want ?
- What can I do to activate what I want ?
- Among all the things that I can’t do, what is it that I can do ?*
We delegate to others and to uncertainty the possibility for the things we want to happen instead of us making them happen. And I use the word uncertainty because – you may have noticed – we can’t control other people. So by delegating our power to others, we delegate it to uncertainty. Making very uncertain the possibility for our dreams to come true.
Don’t misunderstand me, I am not saying that we can’t ask for help, I am saying that we can’t rely on others to take the responsibility for what we want to happen without taking that responsibility ourselves first.
So next time you are not satisfied with where things are at in your life, ask yourself what can I do to change it ? For example :
- At work : “I don’t have a clear career plan” – Are you waiting for the HR department or your manager to provide one or did you start to create it on your own ? Can you tell where do you want to be in 1 / 2 / 5 years time and what are the steps to be there ? What can you activate now without waiting for your HR or manager to come back to you ?
- With your friend : ” I don’t see my friends enough” – Are you waiting for your friends to get in touch or do you actually make time to reach out ? Do you plan meetups long in advance to maximise the possibility for those to happen ? Do you make time for them to happen ?
- With your children : “I don’t spend enough time with my kids” – Are you putting aside pockets of time for this? Like really ? Far from any distractions ?
The great thing is that you can actually educate your brain about behaving differently and to form a new habit of taking the leads of your life. How can this get any better than that ?
Now go. Make your own list of things you’d like to change in your life. Set priorities or goals or whatever will help you to track your progress. And review those periodically.
Keep in mind that if You Can’t Measure It, You Can’t Improve It. It doesn’t mean creating complicated personal development reports, a simple piece of paper to review on a daily / weekly basis will do.
So what are you going to change right now ? What’s the plan to make this happen ? What is the next step you are going to take to start your personal growth journey ? Let us know in the comments, I am curious to hear from you.
Happy personal growth journey